Monday, July 9, 2007

From The Heart of My Husband

Today is a memorial day in our family. Particularly for my husband, his parents and siblings. I have offered to let him share his thoughts on my blog today.

On this day a year ago my brother, Jerry, died from injuries he sustained in a motorcycle accident. I have experienced grief in my life but nothing compared to this loss. I have been experiencing several different feelings throughout the year, I guess they say it is all a part of the grieving process. I have laughed a lot when remembering those good times we shared and I have wept at times too (still do). I am not sure if one ever really heals from such a thing, but you just get on, gettin' on with daily life. I will always remember my brother Jerry and penned this poem as I fondly remembered the days when we were affectionately called...

'THE BOYS'
When asked what they remember of 1963
Some say the war, some the race for the moon
And some the death of Kennedy

Few knew that on the birth date of Thomas Edison
Came a bouncing ball of a boy
A fourth child to Cathy and Stan

It is told that the boy really couldn't be sweeter
He would smile a lot, laugh and giggle
And was mom's best eater

And though it looked like Joel would be the last one
There came a fifth family member
The last in line—a third son

Jerry was “Made in America” in 64'
The day of cupid
When he came through life's door

A blue-eyed blond with lots of natural curls
A blessing, “and a curse” he would later say
With all the girls

He followed his brother by a year and three days
Some thought they were twins
But they were different in many ways

Though it was really hard to tell by many it seems
For mom dressed them the same
No matter their screams

In matching pairs they were given clothes, books, and toys
Their names faded from view
As they became known as 'The Boys'

‘The Boys’ played with each other most every day
That is, when they weren't yellin and fightin
To make each one pay

Grandparents, cousins, uncles, and friends
It seemed once a month at least
‘The Boys’ were with some of them

One day at Maxines ‘The Boys’ were stung and turned pale
As a trunk full of wasps let into them both
As they yelled all down the trail

They stood in her kitchen in undies and sox
From head to toe covered in soda
It looked like the Pox!

‘The Boys’ were inseparable in goals and dreams
As they planned campsites and forts
And fishing in streams

Their ‘base’ in the woods they called the “Big Rock”
It was a giant of a stone
Of no ordinary stock

While visiting the ‘base' when ‘The Boys’ were much older
The rock seemed quite smaller in size
And hardly a boulder

To harness their energy and give mom a time out
‘The Boys’ would wear the tan and green
Of a Boy Scout

They camped once a month or more, even when dreary
Sleeping in tents on the ground
‘The Boys’ never grew weary

Their gang was Troop 311 of Battle Ground
No bigger group in the state
At that time could be found

In the Pinewood Derby Jerry was the first down
Winning three years in a row
It was Dad’s triple-crown

‘The Boys’ climbed the ladder with hard work and grit
Reaching the top of scouting
An Eagle they call it

It was in 76' when Jerry and his brother
Shared their first bike, an Enduro 80
A gift from their mother

A love for riding was then introduced
Into the hearts of ‘The Boys’
That never was loosed

All through the woods and into Battle Ground
‘The Boys’ road that bike
Once getting caught by a County Brown

‘The Boys’ were in fear as the Sheriff awakened their dad
They hid in the basement
Sure he would be very mad

But ‘The Boys’ fear faded as there was no immediate action
But their relief was brief as dad said
“Mother would handle” their infraction

There was no yelling, smacking, or board pounding
That could replace the penalty ‘The Boys’ suffered
From mom—a “two week” bike grounding

Camping, fishing, hunting, and the like
None of this compared to ‘The Boys’ love
Of riding their bike

The love of bikes and the freedom they brought
Didn't fade from ‘The Boys’ hearts
The older they got

With age ‘The Boys’ grew apart it seems
Marriage and children
A changing of dreams

One of ‘The Boys’ found Jesus the Christ
A love he had been missing
From the One who gives life

Yet the other at first was unwilling to hear
Of his brother's new love
That gives hope and good cheer

“Booze, bikes, and women where does it lead?
Nowhere that is good” Joel said to him
“It will not fill your need!”

So Jerry would learn by experience, the law, and some wrecks
That life can be rough and at times unfair
When it cashes your checks

Slowly but surely Jerry began to see
Something in the words of his brother
When he said “Jesus and me”

His brother said “Jesus would satisfy all
Who were searching for help
And give them resolve”

Jerry was in conflict of soul, Joel for one could tell
The devil saw it for sure
And wanted him to perish in hell

So during a bike rally one summer eve
Jerry drank of the spirit
That blinds and deceives

And got on his bike he loved so to ride
Off a curve into a ditch then a pole
And didn't survive

Jerry died July 9th, 2006
A blow to ‘The Boys’
That may never be fixed

Cause it wasn't just one who died on Springboro that day
For the two were no more
And ‘The Boys’ passed away

But it is my hope that one day very soon I will see
My brother Jerry with Jesus
As we meet at the tree

I do yearn in my heart each and every day
For this reunion in heaven
of 'The Boys'... for always

Dear Jesus, I sure miss ‘The Boys’

~Half of ‘The Boys’
July 9th, 2007

7 comments:

Unknown said...

May the dear Lord comfort the hearts of your family as they remember their beloved son and brother.

Lisa said...

Debbie please tell your husband that his poem was so touching it has me in tears.

In 1999, my family lost one of 'the boys'. My brother had just turned 40 a month before.

I have no words to offer. Only God's love. Praying for you all.

VJ said...

What a beautiful poem! This was written with tears, for it brought tears to me. This is an outpouring of love, affection grief, loss and most importantly hope.

My prayers are with you.

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Usually I am just a lurky who enjoys this blog. But today when I read that poem it really touched my heart. So I wanted to leave a comment and say how very beautiful it is. May God give you and your family the strength it needs to get through this day and every day! God Bless! Lisa = )

AM said...

Such a touching and lovely poem.

Unknown said...

The Above post from Kaylie is actually from me. I didn't know she had been on here lol so I have been commenting this morning under her name ugh. Kids!!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet way to remember his brother :*) I am so sorry for the loss of your brother in law. *hugs*
God bless, Karen

Backwoods Home Magazine - practical ideas for self-reliant living
TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey
*Notice*
The graphics that are used on this blog are not mine.
So please, be so kind as to visit the artists sites and please abide
by their "TERMS OF USE". If you find any graphics that
haven't been given proper credit or anything else that needs
mended, please e-mail me so I can act promptly. I admire the artists
and their talent so I want to give the proper credit where it's due!
~Thanks very much~