Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Make Your Own Toothpaste

A long time ago we learned that fluoride is not as safe as we have been led to believe by the American Dental Association. Upon being educated on fluoride's harmful effects, we have been purchasing our toothpaste from our local healthfood store.

Now, anyone who shops for healthy products knows that if a product claims that it's healthy, it's going to cost you twice as much! Today I stumbled upon this toothpaste recipe that I'm going to try. I'm hoping that our family will like it, and in the long run, find that it saves us money. I'll keep you posted as to how well it works for us.

1 cup baking soda
1/3 cup salt
3 teaspoons glycerin
Flavoring for taste (wintergreen or peppermint oil)

Mix baking soda and salt together. Add 3 teaspoons of glycerin and mix thoroughly. Add flavoring to taste; five to 10 drops usually works, but find out what is best for you. Put paste into a squeeze bottle. Use as you would commercial toothpaste.

You can add a drop of food coloring to add a little color. Add a little more glycerin for thicker toothpaste.

© ThriftyFun.com

For more flavor ideas in homemade toothpaste, click on the picture.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Joy said...

If you get tired of making up a recipe, know that just baking soda alone is an excellent tooth paste substitute. My friend who quit being a dental hygienist because of all the toxins in a dental office, told me about it. She says that people who use baking soda never come in with gum disease, and their teeth are very clean. It works for me. I can't stand even the smell of tooth paste anymore. I'm so glad to be free from it.

Lisa said...

Looks like an interesting recipe for me to try. ;o) Where can I find glycerin?

Debbie Ann said...

Hi Lissa-
I'd check out your local health food store. That's where I'm going to start.

Backwoods Home Magazine - practical ideas for self-reliant living
TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey
*Notice*
The graphics that are used on this blog are not mine.
So please, be so kind as to visit the artists sites and please abide
by their "TERMS OF USE". If you find any graphics that
haven't been given proper credit or anything else that needs
mended, please e-mail me so I can act promptly. I admire the artists
and their talent so I want to give the proper credit where it's due!
~Thanks very much~